Forum Problems? Let me know here..

Post here if you need help with anything on the forum.
(Guest posting no longer allowed here)

Admiral
Admiral

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:40 pm

Forum Problems? Let me know here..

As you can see, the forums have changed quite a bit in the last few weeks. This is basically the new template, with some new little features installed too. There is still a little few things I need to do with it but that's another topic really.

If you see an error message, something different that doesn't look like it should be here etc.. post here and I'll fix it. Table widths would be handy, if they look too big or small let me know.. I'll probably miss a file out. Remember they're supposed to be the same size as the top banner ;)

This topic will remain open for problems/bugs you may encounter in the future.

Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:07 am

Hey Maril,

I don't know whether this is the right place to post it but... is it possible for you to disable guest posting? Cause the spam topics are getting to me ><

Admiral
Admiral

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:39 pm

Hey treky, sorry for the build up of spam - I haven't really been online in a few days. Some of it gets hidden automatically (not saying how) so I face more spam than you do I'm afraid lol.

Sorry but for now I can't disable guest posting in Help & Support.. I didn't even want to remove it on Episode Discussion. I allow guests to post because it's a support forum. What if somebody couldn't register or login and needed help. All you can do really is avoid looking at the Help & Support area unless you see a proper username in it's box on the main forum index, and I'll have to get online more often.

I could hire a new mod who'll be on just as much as me or more often to delete any spam that isn't hidden, that could help too. I'm sorry the spam topics are getting to you treky, they got to me ages ago - I remember going online on my mam's computer and finding over 50 new messages, only about 2 were proper ones from regular posters. Going through deleting them all and disabling guest posting (which I wasn't too chuffed about as I don't like forums where you have to sign up to do anything) took forever, and when I returned home 2 days later the same amount greeted me in Episode Discussion and this forum.

The only reason you've seen a lot lately, like I said is because I haven't been monitering - my computer hasn't been working for me and when it has been, I've been finishing off typing god knows how many pages of Responsibility (lol nearly done actually).

Curious though, when you visit the forums, do you check for new posts via the link at the top labelled "View Posts Since Last Visit" (only now I realise there is a link to it in topics as well, and it isn't the same as the main one, crap) or do you just manually search for them?

Admiral
Admiral

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:51 pm

you could change the link, that way only the forums you still visit would actually be linking to the right place/ sites you inform of the change or whatever else

Note that i've never tried it so i don't know what exact;y is needed. But right now it seems all you would need to do is change the folder name & the forums config. And of course let people know to use the main fv address to get to the forum and make a new bookmark

I make the assumption that will rid you of the spammers, but it really depends how good they are

Your never going to make me a mod and i'm the one that's here the most as far as i'm aware (probably more than you lol)

Did you ever esare the private messages like i suggested or was i supposed to help with that? dm i guess. The suns out :P

Admiral
Admiral

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:47 am

If only I knew what you meant by esare.. I really can't remember if you suggested something or not. PM's have been disabled cos they're still broken.

Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:09 am

Marill wrote:Curious though, when you visit the forums, do you check for new posts via the link at the top labelled "View Posts Since Last Visit" (only now I realise there is a link to it in topics as well, and it isn't the same as the main one, crap) or do you just manually search for them?

I'm lazy - I just clik the link ^^

You had 48 spam topics! Lucky you *shudders*

:)

Admiral
Admiral

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:13 pm

I was probably around whilst they were being posted. I was around whilst the 98 (or somthing like that) users were on the forums at once (marill probably was too actually)

Occasionally there are somthing like 50+ people viewing a topic with only 2 people in total on the forums. In some cases i'm both of those two people ^^

Admiral
Admiral

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 pm

If only phpbb fixed that little bug.. it should show 2 users as actual 2 users, not for example 10. The only way I know who's who is when I'm in the admin panel

Return to Support Forum